Raspberry ‘Vinegar’ (Cordial):
“Put two quarts of large Rasberries into one quart of the best Vinegar, let it stand 10 days near a fire, clarify a pd. of fine Sugar, strain off the juice from the Rasberries, add the clarified Syrup & boil all together till it is fine – When it is cold put it into small Bottles & use it as you would Orgeat, mix it with Water to your taste” – Mrs Lefray
(from the recipe book of Jane Austen’s friend Martha Lloyd – Mrs Lefray was a friend from Hampshire)
Lesley has the same recipe in Richard Fuller’s family cookbook (Richard Fuller of Chichester), so this must have been a fairly common recipe.
1.4 kg raspberries (defrost frozen ones if no fresh available)
1.7 litres white wine vinegar
1. Steep raspberries in vinegar for 5 -6 days. Mash a little during this time.
2. Mash again & strain through a jelly bag – Lesley squeezes every drop from the jelly bag – unlike jellies, doing this doesn’t seem to make the juice cloudy.
3. Measure liquid & allow 450g (1lb) sugar to 575ml (1 pint) liquid.
4. Bring to the boil slowly, stirring well to dissolve sugar.
5. Simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Skim, and leave until cold
7. Seal in clean bottles.